Monday, October 18, 2010

Grocery Shopping

Believe it or not I used to enjoy going to the grocery store. Wyatt and Cass would ride in a "cool cart", a fire truck or taxi or race car. I would give Wyatt the snack and he would be a good distributor of the food. When the food was gone they'd stand on the side of the cart, hanging on tightly and when I stopped to get something off the shelf they would jump down and scoop up imaginary trash and throw it in the basket. Sometimes Cass would miss an imaginary piece of trash and Wyatt the trash man would be sure to point it out to her. He'd ask for a piece of provolone whenever we neared the deli counter and when he saw the big display cakes on the counter he'd run over and look at the pictures of cakes in the book.

It's hard to say one part was his favorite, he seemed to enjoy every part of grocery shopping, but I know he loved riding the free horse at Hy-Vee a lot. They would take turns on who got to ride first and then climb up and push the button. He taught Cassie how to grab pretend arrows from their pretend quivers and then shoot the bad guys while riding the horse, sound effects and all. Even loading the groceries was fun because I would let them climb in through the back of the van. What a thrill.

Today Cass rode in a regular cart, her baby doll Lulu by her side. I don't like to push the big "cool" carts around, they're not very manageable and I prefer to talk to Cass while I'm shopping. Getting a firetruck and not having Wyatt in it would make shopping even harder. Cass got her free piece of cheese, "probolone", and I let her ride the horse twice since no one was waiting. She shot the Halloween spider balloon with her arrows.
I even miss him complaining about those gross Halloween decorations. There weren't many at this one, thankfully, but I'm sure he would be proud of Cassie shooting the spider balloon. Cassie and I talked about the coming rain as we rolled through the parking lot and when I opened the back of the van she climbed up and over the seat just like her big brother.

5 comments:

  1. You have so many incredible memories of Wyatt. I guess they're amazing because they are so regular, familiar, and predictable for a parent...until they come to a sudden stop. Thanks for telling these stories. They make me realize how incredibly precious each day of everyday happenings is. I don't think I'll groan anymore when Zia runs for that humungous orange race car shopping cart at Home Depot.
    Thanks. Love you, praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wyatt was blessed to have you as his mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. In many ways, Wyatt has made the regular and mundane very transcendent and holy for me. I love him for that. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mia, i know what you mean about those carts. what joy it is for those little ones to pretend they're big, though.

    it's worth it to see them smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and each of these comments so far is so good! There is joy here.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete