Monday, January 10, 2011

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Who can comprehend how those whom G-d takes early are chosen? Does not the early death of young Christians always appear to us as if G-d were plundering his own best instruments in a time in which they are most needed? Yet the L-rd makes no mistakes. Might G-d need our brothers for some hidden service on our behalf in the heavenly world? We should put an end to our human thoughts, which always wish to know more than they can, and cling to that which is certain. Whomever G-d calls home is someone G-d has loved. "For their souls were pleasing to the L-rd, therefore he took them quickly from the midst of wickedness" (Wisdom of Solomon 4)...Death reveals that the world is not as it should be but that it stands in need of redemption. Christ alone is the conquering of death. (383-4)
Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote these words in response to the deaths of several of his students during World War 2. He could not have known that he too would be called to the heavenly kingdom in a time in which he was most needed. The biography of Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas has lifted my spirit. As a German believer he struggled with the evil that surrounded him, the truths he held onto tightly and his responsibility as a follower of Jesus to stand for justice and defeat wickedness. He wrote many amazing things throughout his short life which I plan on sharing here. I hope if you have the money you will go out and buy this book. It has been one of the most encouraging stories I have read in a long time. This is not just because of my grief journey, but because of my faith journey as well. Metaxas is a wonderful writer, capturing the spirit of Bonhoffer while including the political and moral unraveling of Germany. If you can't afford to buy it, try your library, or the Tblake library. I'd love to share.

The book cover has a large photograph of Bonhoeffer on it, leading Cassidy to wonder about this man (much like the kids asking about Moshe Dayan). I've been telling her bits and pieces about him, and what he lived through and how much he loved G-d and did what was right. The other night while lying in her bed the two of us talked about Wyatt and Zeke, the usual missing them memories. We usually get back to the truth that they are in heaven, and one day we will see them again. When I asked her who they were in heaven with she replied, "Bonhoeffer".

Might G-d need our brothers for some hidden service on our behalf
in the heavenly world?

7 comments:

  1. Mighty worshiping warriors your boys are I talked with cass today she told me she was wearing wyatt's snow shoes and told me how Wyatt is in heaven now I said one day we will all be together again and never have to say goodbye again
    I might be borrowing your book of someone doesn't take you up on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm....I've been wanting a good book to read. This sounds right up my alley. I'll probably take you up on your challenge. As for the boys I miss them both very much. I was watching Cass dance on Sunday and remembering Wyatt running around there too. I want a hug from him! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. It was a good one. Bonhoeffer has been a fascination for me since college. I wrote my senior thesis on pacifism and he has the most inspiring story as regards ethical pacifism. Plus, he was a great writer. When I couldn't pull everything that I had written on the subject together, Bonhoeffer provided a perfect quote. While this is off point, I hope you'll allow me. he said, "when a man takes guilt upon himself in responsibility, and no responsible man can avoid this, he imputes this guilt to himself and to no one else … Before other men the man of free responsibility is justified by necessity; before himself he is acquitted by his conscience; but before God he hopes only for mercy.”
    I thought this depiction so accurately and completely described the sinner's plight that it allowed me to finish my paper!
    Regardless, I'm happy to hear your spirit is lifted. Thank the L-rd for things above now on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you chose him as a part of your pacifism paper. He had such a unique way of resisting Hitler, but I wouldn't call him a pacifist. Perhaps some day I will read this paper of yours.

    Plus, I don't claim to understand everything he writes, but I am so intrigued by the way he partners G-d and man, how he emphasizes the role we play in the world and how that reflects G-d.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a pertinent quote you've shared with us. "Death reveals that the world is not as it should be but that it stands in need of redemption. Christ alone is the conquering of death." This reminds me of a verse I've had on my heart as I've been praying for your family:

    "Therefore, since the children share a common physical nature as human beings, he became like them and shared that same human nature; so that by his death he might render ineffective the one who had power over death (that is, the Adversary) and thus set free those who had been in bondage all their lives because of their fear of death...For since he himself suffered death when he was put to the test, he is able to help those who are being tested now. " Hebrews 2:14-15, 18

    I've been loving hearing the parallel's you've picked up on between the plight of the Jews during the holocaust and the Jews further back in history during the time of the prophets. I look forward to one day read Metaxas' biography of Bonhoeffer. It's good to hear examples of Christians who did take risks to support G-d's chosen people.

    On a side note, I tend to get a little annoyed at Christians who focus so much on people like Bonhoeffer and Corrie Ten Boom yet seem less inclined to note that most of the church in Germany (and Europe) was silent (at best) about what was going on. Then again, it makes me take a serious look at my heart to see where I will stand when it hits the fan here in the U.S.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not too long ago I read "The Righteous" by Martin Gilbert which was a roll call of people who aided Jews during the Holocaust. I believe there are only 17,000 or so "righteous Gentiles" that Yad Vashem has recognized. It is shocking how few people helped out, but like you said, when the heat is on who knows what we'll do. I pray I'll be a faithful representative of the King of the Jews.

    Thank you, Kait, for your prayers and loyalty. That is powerful scripture you're praying.

    ReplyDelete